The Military Watch Resource - Community Fora

Go Back   The Military Watch Resource - Community Fora > Main Forum
Register MWR Homepage MWR New Stuff for Sale MWR Maratac ZULU Straps Calendar Mark Forums Read

Main Forum This is the site for enthusiasts of military timepieces. All discussions related to military timepieces, and watches in general are welcome. While discussing non-issued watches and homage watches is permissible, misrepresentations and/or false claims of military provenance will not be tolerated. Secondly misrepresenting oneself as either a disinterested party or posting with a secondary or ulterior agenda (i.e. shilling) will not be acceptable. Please post your own personal watches for sale on the PX (not here.) Links to watches for sale are permissable as long as they are for discussion purposes. Links to fake and counterfeit watch sites are prohibited. While not mandatory, images of guns, knives, and Ninja spikes in conjunction with your watches are highly encouraged. There is a Zero Tolerance Policy in effect for rude and inconsiderate behavior. Opinions expressed here are those of the poster, and not necessarily those of the management. Any submissions to this site remain the property of the original author/contributor. Anonymous or inconsiderate postings may be deleted at the discretion of a moderator. Contact: admin@broadarrow.net

Old 08-17-2010, 13:20   #1
Navigator

Navigator is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aquadive Time Depth

Hello everyone. I am brand new to MWR. I am going through my drawers and storage compartments and ran across a watch I acquired years ago. As the title reads, it is an Aquadive Time Depth. It is not in running order and would need an overhaul, and although I had the depth gauge repaired once I doubt it works.

To make a long story short, I was thinking of listing it on an auction site, until I read a blurb from a seller on the same site that these watches were used by UDT and SEAL teams. Being a casual collector of naval special warfare items I had second thoughts about selling.

Can anyone shed light on the military usage of the Aquadive Time Depth?

Also while I am at it, in the early eighties I was TDY to Hickam and stopped at a little surplus store on the north side of the island. A guy had a small box of military watch parts including a broken case, crystal and movement for an issue pilot watch, a case for a Benrus Type I Class A and curiously, a Rolex oyster case containing a Tudor face and movement in really terrible shape. I read somewhere that UDT/SEALS were issued Tudor movments in Rolex cases. Did I stumble across some old UDT/SEAL junk parts?

I apologize in advance if this is a common question/post.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 23:59   #2
jonasforsbergf1

jonasforsbergf1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi Navitagor

My first time posting her too.

Iīve got an Aquadive mod 50 myself. Iīve googled the Internet for a year or two for a simular Aquadive. The only information concerning military use Iīve seem to find is the watch in the same advert i think you have looked at (....a big auction site...) or others reffering to this mans information.

The watch in this auctionsite is, in my oppinion, hugely overpriced by the seller. The price normally ends at 600-1000 usd (bought my for 676 usd...including original bracelete... and have this year seen 3 others sold for prices in this area) if you buy it on auction. My watch is with an watchmaker on repair in Sweden.

BUT there is one referens that might intrest you. Search for: Evaluation of Aquadive time-depth watch, by R.P. Swanson, T.G. Phillips .... a month ago, you could order some paper/article about the watch... at time writing this reply, the site doesnīt work.

I would looove to see a PICTURE of your watch. Iīm searching for an Aquadive mod 50 from 1973 or older....so if you ever change your mind about selling the watch...you know where to find me.

Good luck on your "hunt"
jonasforsbergf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 00:21   #3
jonasforsbergf1

Default Me again

...sorry.. I forgot there is an article in some Diver magazine from the 70īs (called SkinDivers). It is an 3 pages article about the watch and itīs history. In the beginning they mention Us Navy:

"Time is an important an demanding factor in our lives, regulates our daily routine of waking up in the morning, going to wirk, leaving work, eating and going to bed. And of course, it plays a significant and critical role in diving because the US Navy diving tables are based on bottom time and rate of ascent in feet per minute....

but not a word about US Navy actually ever used the watch in the Navy Seals or anything like that... neither that they have ordered any watches. You can spot the article on sale on an very large auction site on internet right now.
Old 08-18-2010, 22:05   #4
Navigator

The thing I find most intriguing about the watch is that it is anti-magnetic. The seals went out of their war to develop knives that were anti magnetic when working with magnetic mines, so it would make sense that they would want their watches to be anti magnetic.

As soon as I figure out how, I'll post a few pics.
Old 08-19-2010, 23:28   #5
jonasforsbergf1

Default Patent

Hi!

Somewhere out on the internet, you can see the patent application (maby that will help you). Iīve seen it...but cant remember where. I will search and see if I can find it saved on my other computor somewhere.

There are several types of Aquadive mod 50. The case is allways the same, but dial, beezel, strap and minute/hour hands are different. Some of the watches are really ugly some are beutiful.

Is your Aquadive exactly like the watch on the famous auctionsite (and if so in which colour? ......or does it have another type of dial/hands/beezel?
Old 08-19-2010, 23:32   #6
jonasforsbergf1

Default Navy Seals

*removed by mod*

Last edited by martin : 08-22-2010 at 23:46.
Old 08-19-2010, 23:49   #7
jonasforsbergf1

Default One more really cool

couldnīt help...but just have to let you know about this cool watch. Search for.... "Military Double Case Mens Watch VTG 50-60's-Rare -TBA" ...small, intresting and cool. And by the way, they have two Aquadive mod 50 for sale right now....but unfortunally exactly like mine.
Old 08-21-2010, 14:05   #8
Nalu

Nalu is an unknown quantity at this point

That ePrey listing is incorrect when it says the Aquadives were used by the USN. I've never seen any evidence that that is true in 5 years of researching these watches. The Model 50 Time-Depth was made by Aquadive, but also appeared in slightly different guise under the Rotary label. As an Aquadive, there were orange, white/black and blue models. There may be other color schemes that I haven't seen.

The Bourdon-tube depth gauges are quite often not working when you find them these days and some have had the inlet sensor plugged after a failure. The movements are repairable for the most part. They are electromechanical and there are a few experts out there who still work on them. As with many 70s electric watches, finding the correct battery can be a problem.

The aforementioned Skin Diver article (first page):

An advert from the same period:

A movement photo:

For those thinking about looking for one, be forewarned that these are huge watches, dwarfing the Ploprof in length and height:

Colin

Capo-at-Large, Brooklyn Dive Watch Mafia
Nalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 23:21   #9
jonasforsbergf1

Default Thanx Nalu

...for a great comment. I suspected this, but couldnīt say for sure (after just 2 years of "Aquadiving").

Navigator.... any pictures yet...or an description on your Aquadive (colours, dial, hands etc...)?

One more Aquadive, then an Favre-Leuba Bathy...and then I can rest in peace.
Old 08-26-2010, 13:52   #10
Nalu

Here's a photo of the white/black Model 50:

Colin

Old 08-26-2010, 23:43   #11
jonasforsbergf1

Wow!!! Itīs lovely. The orange stitchings on the starp...in lovely contrast with the depth-needle. Absolutely stunning. THanx for the pic!!!

I was hunting for a Breitling "Air Racer" steel bracelete for my Aquadive....but it was too expensive...why Iīm going buy an Seiko Auto 6139 bracelet to my watch (my original bracelet doesnīt do the thing for the watch imo).

By the way... Iīve seen people mention that Ollech & Wajs did some watches for the Aquadive brand many years ago. Now Iīve asked the company itself, but they didnīt do any watches to Aquadive...so it seems that all the watches where made by Jenny/Doxa company. Unfortunally the Doxa company doesnīt answer my e-mails...but Ollech & Wajs where kind enough to do so.

Navigator... any description/picture on your watch???
Old 09-04-2010, 21:47   #12
Navigator

Default Sorry for the delay.

Its the blue face and blue bezel ring.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:20   #13
jonasforsbergf1

Hi Navigator!

Youīre excused ;-)
Keep the watch until youīre sure about the military origin or not. The link/website i talked about goes to: Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) Archives (or Medical Center Library, Duke University Medical Center)....in Durham. There is a chance that they would help you read the document....and solve however it is a military watch or not.

Is YOUR watch exactly the same as the two on the photos (except for the colours) OR is your dial and minute hand different in design?
Old 09-08-2010, 19:34   #14
Nalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasforsbergf1 View Post
Wow!!! Itīs lovely. The orange stitchings on the starp...in lovely contrast with the depth-needle. Absolutely stunning. THanx for the pic!!!

By the way... Iīve seen people mention that Ollech & Wajs did some watches for the Aquadive brand many years ago. Now Iīve asked the company itself, but they didnīt do any watches to Aquadive...so it seems that all the watches where made by Jenny/Doxa company. Unfortunally the Doxa company doesnīt answer my e-mails...but Ollech & Wajs where kind enough to do so.
O&W shared technology with Aquadive and Jenny, but Jenny were not a manufacture and so O&W and Aquadive made their own watches, some of which also appeared under the Jenny brand.

Colin